The mission of Oakland Kids First (OKF) is to create leadership opportunities for young people to transform their schools so that all youth graduate with the skills and motivation to succeed. Over the past fifteen years, OKF has developed a unique model for school improvement that demonstrates the importance of youth leadership and engagement as a strategy to improve school culture and achieve equitable outcomes for underserved students. OKF is seeking a part time after school program instructor to support with coordinating an art after school project group. The group will engage young people in innovative hands-on projects that take art concepts from the classroom and turn them into real-world project-based learning experiences for our students
The ideal candidate would:
- Be a committed youth worker who isn’t afraid to roll up their sleeves in a non-traditional setting and facilitate real-world skill building
- Be a motivated and responsible leader who is dedicated to upholding a strong school culture
- Have an ability to work with urban youth and collaborate with other adult allies within a social justice framework
- Under the supervision of the Community Programs Manager at Castlemont High School, develop curriculum to engage youth online drivers course 2-4 times a week until 6pm.
- Implement systems for developing program curriculum, tracking attendance, and completing all necessary administrative paperwork program reports
- Create and implement a curriculum to support students in completing their driver ed course and prepare them to take their permit test.
- Include parents/guardians, teachers, and other stakeholders in project development and implementation
- Work with Community Programs Manager to develop and implement a recruitment and retention strategy for youth participants
- Integrate a dynamic community engagement project into curriculum to help students develop skills to make a positive different in their communities
- Participate in professional development activities with extended day staff and the larger organization
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate youth towards the achievement of outcomes
- Excellent communication, facilitation, organization, writing, and team-building skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to create and model a culture of peer support, collaboration, and appreciation.
- Detail-oriented, organized, good time management skills, an ability to follow-through and balance multiple tasks simultaneously, works as a team member
- Experience working with diverse groups and communities
- Flexibility, sense of humor, strong commitment to collaboration, self-reflection, and resourcefulness
- 48 College semester units or passage of the OUSD Instructional Aide examination.
- Ability to lift 20 lbs and engage in physical activities such as active ice breakers/team-builders
- Bilingual in Spanish and/or Mam required
- People of color encouraged to apply
Hours and Compensation: Part Time 10 hours per week.
Start Date: August 2019
Offer of employment is contingent on passing a criminal background screen and TB test.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Cover letter should include why you think you are an ideal candidate for this position and what experience you have that would prepare you for this position. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Thank you for applying. Due to the volume of candidates, we are unable to contact each candidate individually. If you are being considered for the position, you will be contacted within 5 business days. We are unable to accept phone calls or walk-ins.
Oakland Kids First provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, veteran status or any other classification prohibited by applicable law.
The position is part time, 10 hours per week, with some additional hours during major events. The Drivers Ed facilitator will report directly to the Community Programs Manager. Salary is commensurate with experience. Employer provides vacation, health, and dental benefits.